Michelle Lyndon is a Personal Trainer with a difference, her approach is about healthy body image, nutrition and wellbeing. In this day and age where a lot of focus can be on the exterior and therefore, Personal Training is geared towards the external result rather than the person’s mental, physical, emotional and spiritual wellbeing, Michelle has broken the mould!
I took 5 with Michelle to understand her approach better, hopefully to offer an alternative to those striving for the whole wellness package and transform in all areas, ultimately to be a better version of themselves. Here’s what Michelle had to say.
Q & A
2. When working with people that wish to make a transformation, do you notice changes within them rather than just externally? If so, what would you say are the most common changes?
Totally. I believe that before we can see changes on the outside, we need to make changes within.
The most common I have seen is how people view themselves within, has changed. I have found that people have come to me and said they have changed how they feel. I always offer the advice of : Change your mindset and the rest will follow. Set goals that are realistic and true to us, not goals that are to make other people feel better. A friend once told me - WE have to Live with OURSELVES Forever, so why not make ourselves the most important person?.
3. If someone was feeling overwhelmed at the prospect of starting an exercise regime, what would be your advice to them?
The first step is always the hardest – just show up and you are already on the way to creating change. Find a support partner who can come along with you and you can encourage each other.
Reach out to your personal trainer if you are having doubts.
4. What does a typical personal training session entail?
It varies, though I will tailor it to the fitness of the people in the class. I do a lot of circuit, HIIT and varied classes, as I find it gives you the variety of strength and cardio training. I also give variations for all levels of fitness.
5. Do you train at the same premises each session or can this vary?
I train currently at Aveley, South Perth and I’m looking at Ocean Reef, so there are places for everyone.
6. When people commence with a Personal Training journey, how long in general is it before they will notice changes?
I have just started out with most people though I have found instantly that I have received feedback that people are loving the variety of the classes, the interaction with others and looking forward to the following week, as I don’t make the classes easy, but I make it so ALL LEVELS can participate and everyone is welcome.
7. How many sessions a week do you feel people need to exercise and what length of time should these be, for them to remain fit?
I believe at least three times a week and at least 45 minutes of intensity to maintain and improve current fitness.
8. Do you use equipment when you train people, or is it more body weight training you offer?
I do a combination of both. I do bodyweight classes, classes with weights, skipping ropes, boxing and more, it depends on the clients at the time.
9. What exercise do you enjoy doing?
I love boxing, love running, love compound exercises that work the whole body and we can do in a short time but still have the same type of effects.
10. What made you change careers?
I was retrenched from Rio Tinto in December 2015 and knew this was a sign for me to finally follow my passion. I got sick of being in the 9-5 rush and following the rest of the world like sheep. It is not an easy change, BUT I can tell you it has and will continue to be worth it. J
11. Do you feel that Bowen Therapy, Reflexology or Aromatouch can be of any help for clients that are doing Personal Training? If so, how do you believe this would be of assistance?
Definitely! I think it is a MUST! We have to look after our bodies, physically, mentally and holistically, it all comes together as a whole. I get regular Bowen and Reflexology as you know, as I believe, if I don’t look after my body – why should I expect anyone else to do the same?
12. Do you have a inspirational quote that you would like to share?
My motto – be a reflection of what you believe in. Be comfortable in your skin and wear your passion with pride.
13. If people are interested in Personal Training with yourself, how do they contact you to make an appointment?
I can be contacted either via mobile on 0401 961 969 or via my Facebook page on https://www.facebook.com/Thyme4Me/?fref=ts
FOR MORE DETAILS ON PERSONAL TRAINING WITH